Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Rare Book Review

I am not in the habit of writing book reviews but this one is absolutely necessary.  Last night I stumbled across Nicky Epstein's Knitting on Top of the World while perusing my local library shelves.

I am also not one to call books "gems" but this one is.  An absolute diamond of a find.

What makes this book so wonderful?  It is a collection of knitting history from around the world, complete with fantastic patterns that exemplify the cultural styles and techniques.  Gorgeous full length photos show off the garments in all of their dazzling colors.  I often tease my sister because she likes to pick out what she wants to wear from pattern books, rather than what she wants to knit. With this book, however, I am doing both.  I want to knit and wear just about everything!  Right now!

As I have started to design more, I've realized that many patterns in the knitting books I find can be easily duplicated, changed, or knit patternless.  Sometimes I wonder, pessimistically, if there are any new designs to be made at all.  Nicky's book, though, is exceptionally unique.  Her patterns are challenging, glamorous, steeped in cultural history AND could be see strutting down the runway.  She is, undoubtably, a master knitter and designer.  I feel inspired, challenged, and excited to knit this book cover to cover!

No worries, friends.  I will definitely be bringing it to knitting group this Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to the library today to find this book! Looks and sounds absolutely Amazing!

    ReplyDelete