Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Blocking

Today I am going to block all of my Christmas presents so I thought I'd talk about it.

Blocking is when you hand wash your finish piece with either a wool wash or a gentle shampoo in some warm water.  This helps the fibers relax after being knitting for so long.

After washing, lay the piece out on a flat surface.  It works best if you have some sort of foam sheet or board down first because next you pin the piece into place.  This allows your knitting to dry in the shape you want it to.

You may be asking, which projects do I need to block?  Well the best thing to do is block everything you knit.  Lace projects in particular need to be blocked otherwise they are lumpy and strange looking.  Get into the habit of blocking everything.  Then your gifts will be clean and smell wonderful.

My knitting:
I realized I need to knit some sort of present for my dear kitty Sorcha.  I have decided on some mice.  I'm going to make the tails really long so she can't bite me when we play together.  Should look something like these:
Only they will not be filled with catnip.  Sorcha HATES catnip.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reminding me of two things (1) I need to add 'pins for blocking' on my shopping list and(2) I need to make presents for my kitties too! (I think I will so with feathers tied to the end of a stick - they would love this).

    ReplyDelete